An inverter is a device that converts DC (direct current) into AC (alternating current) which is widely used in homes and for commercial purposes. A solar inverter also works in a similar way only the source of the DC current is different in this case.
A solar inverter is a part of a solar energy setup that consists of photovoltaic solar panels, charge controller and batteries. The photovoltaic solar panel produces variable DC current and the solar inverter converts it into AC current.
The central inverter is the most common type of solar inverter used in homes. Although a solar energy system requires an elaborate setup, it helps to save money in the long run because the energy used from the sun to produce electricity does not cost anything. In addition, a solar energy system can be used to get electricity even in remote locations because it does not require connection to power or gas.
But, when it comes to choosing a solar inverter for your home, it is important to consider a few basic factors such as the type of inverter, its efficiency, its power rating, protection features of the inverter, etc.
How to Choose a Solar Inverter?
There are 3 main types of solar inverters depending on the output they produce.
- Sine Wave – This is what you receive from your local utility company or from a generator. The best thing about this type of inverter is that it is compatible with almost all appliances and equipment available in the market. Most appliances require sine wave to work to their fullest efficiency.
- Modified Sine Wave – This is almost like a sine wave but it has a square pattern. It is compatible with almost all equipment, but the types of equipment will have low efficiency in case of modified cine wave and as a result, they will use more power.
- Square Wave – This is the cheapest type of inverter available in the market but it is seldom used because it is not compatible with most appliances and equipment. It may, however, be used to run simple tools with universal motors.
The efficiency of an inverter is the ratio of output power to input power. The efficiency of a solar inverter depends on its load. It is never possible to achieve 100% efficiency because some of the power is lost due to the heat generated.
An inverter must be able to meet two power requirements – peak power/surge power and typical power. Surge power is the maximum amount of power that an inverter can supply for a short period of time. This surge is required for staring up appliances with electric motors such as pumps and refrigerators. Typical power is the power that an inverter can supply at a steady rate. Typical power is much less than surge power. An inverter with a power rating of 50 watts is good enough for home use.
4. Power Rating
Solar inverters come in different power ratings ranging from 50 watts to 50000 watts but a household seldom needs more than 11000 watts power. Almost all standard solar inverters come in 50 to 5000 watts range.
5. Internal Protection Features
It is best to choose a solar inverter that comes with good safety features that protect the components against overload, lightning surges, etc.
Best Solar Inverters in India
1. Flin Energy Flinslim Lite Solar Hybrid Inverter
This is a high capacity solar inverter from Flin Energy that is suitable for household purposes.
This is a sine wave hybrid inverter that is compatible with all household appliances and equipment.
It has 90 to 93% efficiency which ensures the optimum performance of all devices.
It houses an in-built PWM high-quality solar charge controller that helps to control and monitor the charging of the cells.
It has double surge power capacity which makes it efficient for starting up motors.
It comes with advanced monitoring software that allows easy monitoring of the solar power system.
It has a sleek and slim design and can be conveniently mounted on the wall.
This solar inverter comes with 2 years warranty and 5 years guaranteed support.
- Power – 2400 watt
- Sine wave inverter
- 90-93% efficiency
- In-built PWM solar charge controller
- Double surge power capacity
- Advanced monitoring software
2. Exide Solar Inverter with LCD
This is a decent quality solar inverter from Exide Technologies that has high solar charge efficiency and comes with some great features.
This solar inverter has 850 VA power and it comes with a 40 amps solar charge controller.
This solar inverter has almost 95% efficiency which means an only a minimal amount of power is lost in the form of heat.
It features a large LCD screen which makes it easier to monitor the power and charge of the total setup.
This solar inverter is equipped with advanced PCU (Power Conditioning Unit) technology that automatically runs the load on solar energy during day time.
- 850 VA power
- 40 amps solar charge controller
- 95% efficiency
- Large LCD screen
- Advanced PCU technology
- The cooling fan of the inverter runs at all times
3. Eco Pure Red Solar Charge Controller
This is a functional hybrid solar charge controller from Eco Pure that can convert any regular inverter into a solar inverter.
This solar charge controller has a 12V/24V voltage and 30A amperage.
It features advanced PWM charging technology that improves the battery life of inverter and boosts the performance of the solar power system.
It comes with a digital signal processor that allows easy control and an LED display for easy monitoring of the power and charge.
This device comes with a 1-year standard warranty against any manufacturing defects.
- Hybrid solar charge controller
- 12V/24V voltage and 30A amperage
- PWM charging technology
- Digital signal processor
- LED indicators
- Causes power fluctuation
4. Sukam Brainy Eco 1100 Solar Home Ups Inverter
This is a high-quality solar inverter from Sukam that has high efficiency and great features.
The smart batteries of this solar inverter charges even with voltage as low as 90 volts which makes it ideal for areas that have low voltage issues.
The Sukam solar invert is compatible with different sized solar panels and batteries which makes it highly compatible.
This inverter is equipped with MCB (miniature circuit breaker) resettable fuse that protects the system and appliances from overload and short circuit.
Smart ATC feature in Sukam’s Brainy Eco inverter increases the battery life up to 6 months.
- Compatible with different sized batteries and solar panels
- Can be charged at a low voltage of 90 volts
- MCB (miniature circuit breaker) resettable fuse for protection against overload and short circuit
- No battery charge indicator
5. Sparkel Solar Rechargeable Mini Inverter System
This is a complete mini inverter system that consists of two solar panels, solar charge controller, batteries, LED bulbs and cable.
This is a highly functional product that can be used as emergency lantern during a power outage, home lighting system, mini inverter or as a backup system for electronic devices.
This system provides an 85W DC uninterrupted power supply with constant 12V & 5V output.
This setup comes with 6 months limited warranty.
- Complete solar rechargeable inverter system
- Can be used for various purposes
- Provides 85W DC uninterrupted power supply with constant 12V & 5V output
The Flin Energy Flinslim Lite Solar Hybrid Inverter is our top pick from the list of best solar inverters in India because of its great solar capacity, amazing efficiency and high level of compatibility. This solar inverter has 1500 watts solar capacity which makes it suitable for household use. It has 90 to 93% efficiency which means a minimal amount of power is lost in the form of heat. It is a sine wave hybrid inverter that is compatible with almost all modern devices and appliances used in homes. This inverter has an in-built PWM solar charge controller that allows easy monitoring of the charging. The sleek and slim design of the inverter allows it to be installed on the wall. The manufacturer provides 2 years warranty and 5 years support on this inverter.