Over 150 people were ill after a community feast on New Year Day at Cheural village in south Mizoram's Lawngtlai district.
According to reports, members of BCM at Cheural village were celebrating New Year and were having community feast on Tuesday.
At night over 100 people suffered from stomach pain, loose motion and high fever accompanied by vomit. Although the figure has risen to over 150 people, they were stated to be out of critical.
Cheural is a village with about 200 houses located in Sangau Tehsil of Lawngtlai district in southern Mizoram and is about 164 km away from Sangau.
On being informed about the incident, Sangau PHC medical officer Dr. Diana Lianhlupuii along with her team rushed to the village and administered treatment to the sick at Cheural Community hall on Wednesday.
About 150 people have been registered for treatment till Wednesday of which 14 people including 8 females and 1 child needed immediate treatment.
An 18-year-old boy and 60-year-old women were referred to hospital. The medical team is camping at the village, while nearby Lungpher village PHC doctor also rushed to the village. Dr. Lianhlupuii and her team have collected sample for examination to identify the cause of illness.
According to Dr. Lianhlupuii, the cause of illness after New Year community feast was not just a common cold fever but due to food poisoning.